Why is it good to have a daily routine?



When I was younger, I claimed that routine was a synonym to boredom. I promised myself that I wouldn’t kill my spontaneity, that I wouldn't allow myself to live a life where each day looks the same or nearly the same. It seemed to me that there was nothing worse in this world than this “routine”. 

Now I know that I was wrong. Life is about balance and too much spontaneity will make you tired as quickly as the routine would. We need a certain rhythm to function effectively. 

Routine is not something that will not ruin your life. It’s something that will create space for it.  
Let’s call a routine differently - “good habits”. Sounds better now, isn’t it?  

When you can re-arrange the day whenever you like, it sounds like freedom, but usually is overwhelming and generates chaos when you think about in the long run. You need to analyse what to wear, what to eat for breakfast, how to start the day, what to do firstly... every day. It burns your energy as you have to arrange basic matters over and over again.  And, contrary to what it seems, there may not be so much time left for the spontaneity and joy of life.  


 So... although I still don't want every minute of my life to be predictable, I can already appreciate the advantages of routine.

Comments

Popular Posts